Hand Surgery: Melbourne Reconstructive & Plastic Surgery Specialist for Hand Procedures
Dr Geoff Barnett, Specialist Plastic Surgeon and Hand Surgeon
Dr Barnett is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon (FRACS) who performs a number of Cosmetic, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery procedures for patients throughout Victoria, especially those living near his Clinic in inner eastern Melbourne. He is a skilled Plastic Surgeon and hand surgeon for surgical repair of various hand, finger and wrist injuries.
The hands have a quite complex anatomy, but they are quite important parts of our body. So when a hand injury occurs, or a chronically painful condition such as Trigger Finger, Dupuytren’s Contracture or Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, you are likely to want a good hand surgery result that helps reduce pain, improve functionality or restore normality to the hand’s appearance.
Hand Anatomy and Hand Surgery (Reconstructive Plastic Surgery)
Anatomy of Hand, Wrist and Fingers (Medical Illustration)
- A human hand normally has 27 bones (excluding the sesamoid bone)
- Fourteen (14) of the 27 bones in your hand are phalanges (proximal, intermediate or middle and distal phalanges)
- The proximal, middle and distal phalanges comprise the bones of the fingers
- proximal phalanges are closest to the palm of your hand
- middle or intermediate phalanges make up the next section of your fingers
- the top part of your fingers are called the Distal Phalanges
- The metacarpals are the bones in the hand that connect your fingers and your wrist
Hand Surgery: What do you want to know about the bones in your hand or wrist if you have Trigger Finger, Dupuytren’s Contracture or Carpel Tunnel Symptoms?
When thinking of your hand and the surgery you might need, review this medical illustration of the bones of the hand including fingers and wrists. The most common hand surgeries performed by Dr Barnett, and many other hand surgeons, are to alleviate the symptoms of Trigger Finger, Dupuytren’s Contracture or Carpel Tunnel.
To connect with Dr Geoff Barnett about your hand surgery procedure requirements, arrange a consultation at our Hawthorn East clinic.
Dr Barnett offers consultations to patients for hand surgery and cosmetic or plastic surgery procedures, including skin cancer removals, at his Hawthorn location – conveniently close to patients living near Kew, Balwyn, Toorak, Auburn, Glenferrie, Camberwell, Brighton and Bentleigh and other inner eastern, Melbourne based or Bayside suburbs.
If you have an enquiry about a hand surgery procedure you are needing to have done, contact our Hawthorn Clinic and request a hand surgery consultation with Dr Geoff Barnett.
Hand Surgery Procedures Offered by Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Barnett in Melbourne
Dr Geoff Barnett can typically assist patients with the following list of Hand Surgeries, medical conditions or hand, finger or wrist problems.
- Trigger Finger
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Carpel tunnel release
He also performs hand surgery for:
- Removal of Ganglions
- Tendon Repairs
- Soft Tissue Repairs for Hand Injuries
- Bone Fractures (depending on severity)
Hand Surgery Repair or Corrective and Reconstructive Hand Surgery
Plastic Surgeon Dr Barnett has a long experience in hand surgery in particular Dupuytren’s Contracture, Carpel Tunnel Release, removal of ganglions, tendon repairs, soft tissue repairs and bone fractures of the hand or phalanges.
- Urgent appointments for sporting injuries to the hand or other acute hand injuries, should be made directly by phoning the Hawthorn rooms on (03) 8849 1467 and asking for an urgent appointment with Dr Barnett.
- Please ask your GP or specialist to send or fax a Referral before you attend your appointment
- If you have other surgery needs, such as skin cancer removal requirements, cosmetic or plastic surgery for nose reshaping, facelift surgery or breast augmentation, Dr Geoff is a skilled Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon as well as a hand surgeon.