Breast Surgery Melbourne
Cosmetic Breast Surgery – Plastic Surgery for Breast Enhancement in Melbourne, Victoria
- Do you have underdeveloped breasts?
- Are you bothered by the appearance of your sagging breasts following pregnancy or significant weight fluctuations?
- Do you have overly large breasts that impair your daily activities as well as quality of life?
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery refers to a group of procedures aimed at enhancing the appearance of your breasts, correcting breast deformities, or reconstructing your breasts after surgical removal. The type of breast surgery that your breast surgeon will perform will depend on your condition, body type, and aesthetic goals.
Dr Barnett specialises in the following breast enlargement and breast reshaping surgeries:
- Breast Augmentation
- Asian Breast Augmentation
- Transaxillary Breast Implants
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reconstruction
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Surgery?
To ensure that you will receive the best breast surgery, your breast surgeon will assess your condition, health history, amount of breast tissue, lifestyle, and desired cosmetic goals during your consultation. In general, you are a good candidate for breast surgery if:
- You are in good overall health.
- You are mentally stable.
- You don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- You don’t have an extreme degree of breast sagging.
- You have breast sagging due to aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss.
- You have low self-esteem due to the appearance of your breasts.
- You have complications associated with primary breast surgery.
- You have a good amount of breast tissue.
- You have inverted nipples.
- You have overly large breasts that cause skin irritation, redness, infection, back pain, headaches, and other discomforts.
- You have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You want to replace your breast implants.
- Your breasts are too small.
- You’re willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle after surgery.
What are the Benefits of Breast Surgery
If performed by a top surgeon, breast surgery can offer the following benefits:
- Breast contour that is in proportion with the rest of your body
- Improved body posture
- Improved breast appearance
- Improved quality of life
- Increased self-confidence
- Lower risk of skin irritation, infection, and other physical discomforts
- More clothing options
- Positive outlook in life
What are the Most Popular Breast Surgery Procedures
The following are the well-known breast procedures:
- Breast augmentation: This surgical procedure makes use of breast implants to enlarge your breasts.
- Breast lift: This procedure involves reshaping and lifting your breast by removing excess skin and fat.
- Breast reduction: This procedure involves the removal of excess fat, skin, and breast tissue to achieve a breast contour that is in proportion with your body.
- Breast implant revision surgery: The surgery is done to replace your old, aging implants.
- Breast implant removal: This surgical procedure is performed to correct complications of your primary breast augmentation.
- Inverted Nipple Correction: This procedure reshapes your areola and nipple so that the nipple comes out from your breast.
- Mummy makeover surgery: This is a combination of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your breasts and abdomen after pregnancy.
Recovery after Breast Surgery
It is important to keep in mind that the recovery time of breast surgery may vary from patients to patients. Some patients may require shorter downtime while others will take several weeks to recover. The length of your recovery will greatly depend on several factors such as the extent and type of your surgery, your healing ability, your body type, and your treatment goals. Immediately after your surgery, you may experience soreness, bruising, and pain on your surgical site. These discomforts can be alleviated by taking pain relievers and anti-inflammatories. To support your healing breasts, you may need to wear a support bra or compression garments. In addition, you will be advised to prevent strenuous activities to avoid tension on your suture lines.
What are the Risks of Breast Surgery?
The following are the risks associated with the procedure:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia such as skin rashes and difficulty breathing
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both breasts
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Pus draining from your wound
- Rippling of the implant
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
- Wrong or faulty position of the implant
FAQ about Breast Surgery
Will breast surgery increase your risk of breast cancer?
- Breast surgery will not increase your risk of getting breast cancer. In addition, having breast implants will not hinder the detection of breast tumors.
How many months should you delay pregnancy after having breast implants?
- It is recommended to postpone pregnancy for at least 6 months after your surgery. This allows your breasts to adjust to its new shape and size.
Can you have breast implants if you have sagging skin?
- This will depend on the degree of skin sagging. If you have extreme sagging of the skin, another procedure may be needed to lift your breasts so that they appear younger and well-defined. Breast implants are recommended for patients with a mild degree of skin sagging. During your consultation with a top surgeon, your breast condition will be first assessed if you are a good candidate for breast implants.
How much is Breast Surgery? – Costs & Prices
Just like recovery time, the costs and prices of breast surgery may also vary. This will greatly depend on several factors such as your surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anesthesia used, and your desired breast surgery results. To get a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure, schedule a consultation with a renowned cosmetic surgeon.
Consultation with Dr Barnett
Dr Barnett (FRACS Plast) is highly sought by patients throughout Victoria for his surgical skills in face and neck surgery, breast augmentation using implants, and body contouring techniques including redundant skin reduction procedures for post-weight loss patients or patients who lost weight via Bariatric surgery. He also works closely with Dermal Clinicians and Cosmetic Injecting Clinicians for anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers, as well as skin rejuvenation using lasers and peels for a full-body, face and skin rejuvenation option.
If you’re wanting an experienced Surgeon who is caring, empathetic and easy to talk to – then look no further than Dr Barnett, one of Melbourne’s most established Specialists for plastic and cosmetic surgery of the breast, face, nose or body.
If you are considering breast enlargement surgery using breast implants, a breast lift, breast reduction, reconstruction or armpit-incision breast augmentation procedure, you’ve come to the right place – the main website of a very experienced, caring, patient-focused Specialist Plastic Surgeon and Breast Surgery Specialist with full qualifications such as FRACS, ISAPS, ASPS and others. Dr Geoff Barnett is based in Hawthorn, Melbourne (convenient to many Inner Eastern and Bayside suburbs, including Toorak, Kew, Camberwell, Bentleigh, Brighton and surrounds). Dr Barnett attracts plastic surgery and breast surgery patients from all over Victoria. He is highly experienced and well-respected for his honesty and patient care ethics including stellar post-op healing patient care and scar minimisation techniques.
Dr Geoff Barnett is also known for his skilled plastic surgery approach for Trans-axillary Breast Implant surgery (Asian Breast Enlargement Surgery), which is an armpit incision option for patients who have potential keloid scarring concerns (due to having more melanin in their skin).
IF you prefer to ask about these procedures instead of browse our Cosmetic Plastic Surgery pages for the top-requested Breast Surgeries, you can also phone a Patient Care Coordinator on (03) 8849 1467 during clinic hours. OR click the button at the lower end of this page to send an enquiry via email.
We look forward to assisting you with restoring, reconstructing, reducing, enlarging or firming and uplifting your breasts so that you can feel more body confident in social situations, intimate relationships, even when you’re clothes shopping or searching for a great swimsuit or new bras.
What to do next?
Our Patient coordinators can assist with any questions you may have when considering a procedure. You can send in an enquiry form below or call our Melbourne Clinic between 8am-6pm, Monday – Friday.