Body Surgery – Body Contouring by Dr Barnett Plastic Surgeon in MelbourneIs your body not responding to exercise and great nutrition? Or have you lost a lot of weight after gastric sleeve or gastric band surgery? Then you may want to explore excess skin and fat reduction surgery known as body contouring, Body Lift or Body Surgery. These body contouring surgery procedures can help to reduce redundant folds of skin after weight changes, as well as remove stubborn pockets of fat that aren’t yielding to exercise and diet alone. They also help to refine and improve the overall body contours to a more pleasing appearance, giving you a more refined and visible waistline, or more natural-looking torso and limbs without excess skin or uneven deposits of adipose tissue.
What is Body Surgery?Body contouring surgery is a group of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your body as well as increasing your self-confidence. These procedures remove excess fat, skin, and tissue from your body to reshape the area. Once the surgical incisions have completely healed, the treated area becomes firmer, smoother, and well-defined. Depending on your condition, whole body surgery can be tailored to suit your cosmetic and medical needs. This Plastic Surgery for formerly obese individuals or post-bariatric surgery patients who have lost significant weight or kilos include: Body contouring is also used on other similar body contouring and body shaping procedures that aim to get your body back to a more natural-looking contour. For further body contouring options by Dr Barnett, send an enquiry form today.
Am I a Good Candidate for Body Surgery?
- Do you have pockets of fat in your abdominal area?
- Are you suffering from skin irritation due to sagging skin in your arms and legs?
- Do you feel that your body has undergone significant changes due to pregnancy, weight fluctuations, or aging?
- If you are bothered by these conditions, body surgery might benefit you. These procedures offer a long-term cosmetic solution and may help boost your self-esteem.
- You are bothered by the appearance of a certain part of your body.
- You are physically healthy.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have low self-esteem.
- You have pockets of fat in your abdomen.
- You have realistic expectations.
- You have sagging or loose skin in your arms, abdomen, thighs, or other parts of your body.
- You have a stable weight.
What are the Benefits of Body Surgery?Whether it’s a tummy surgery or torso surgery, undergoing body surgery can give you the following benefits:
- Better body proportion
- Firmer arms and thighs
- Flatter, well-defined abdomen
- Improved body posture
- Improved quality of life
- Improved self-esteem
- Improved sexual function
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Lower chance of skin infection
- Lower risk of skin irritation due to sagging skin
- More clothing options
- More masculine chest
- Reduced stretch marks
- Smoother, radiant, younger-looking skin
- Well-toned appearance of your body
Download Our Excess Skin Reduction Guide
Skin Reduction Guide Download
What are the Most Popular Body Surgery Procedures?The following are the most well-known body contouring procedures:
- Tummy tuck: Also known as abdominoplasty, this is a surgical procedure that tightens your abdomen by removing excess skin and fat.
- Arm reduction: Also known as brachioplasty, this surgery improves the appearance of your upper arms and underarm area by removing excess skin and fat.
- Body lift: Also known as torsoplasty, this procedure improves the appearance of your abdomen and buttocks by removing excess skin and fat and tightening the abdominal muscles.
- Labiaplasty: This surgical procedure improves the appearance of your vagina, resulting in improved sexual function and a lower risk of pain and irritation.
- Liposuction: This minimally invasive procedure removes fat deposits beneath your skin by using a thin tube and a powerful vacuum.
- Male breast reduction: This surgical procedure reduces the size of abnormally large male breasts by removing excess fat and tissue.
- Mummy makeover: This is a combination of procedures such as breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck, and is recommended after pregnancy.
- Thigh lift: This surgical procedure improves the appearance of your thighs by removing excess skin and fat.
- Belt Lipectomy (Circumferential Abdominoplasty)
- Breast Lift or Breast Reduction
- Breast Augmentation using Implants
- Armpit Incision Breast Enlargement
- Back fat reduction
Recovery after Body SurgeryThe recovery time after body surgery may vary from patient to patient. This will greatly depend on several factors such as the type and extent of your surgery, surgeon’s skills, your healing ability, and desired results. Whether it’s an upper body or lower body surgery, your surgeon will give you specific instructions during your consultation on how to speed up your recovery. These include refraining from cigarette smoking and stopping medications that may impair your wound healing.
How can Body Surgery Scars be minimised?It is important to remember that all surgical procedures leave scars, including ‘so-called’ scarless methods. Experienced plastic surgeons are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time with most scars being barely visible after 12 months. We will arrange weekly post-op appointments with our specialist nursing team after your procedure to ensure everything is healing well and to monitor your progress. You will see your surgeon and/or nurse and/or dermal team about six to eight weeks later to begin scar minimisation treatments. The Coco Ruby dermal team also conducts follow-up treatments to minimise your scars using a customised selection of Fraxel Laser, V-Laser, Healite II LED and skin needling. Silicone strips and gels can also help minimise scars. Ask the Coco Ruby Team!
How much is Body Surgery? – Costs & PricesCosts and prices of body surgery may vary. These include your surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anesthesia used, and your desired aesthetic results. During your consultation, your surgeon will give you a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure. Will your medical insurance cover the cost of your body surgery? Make sure to verify the policy of your private health insurance to determine if you can make a claim on the costs of your desired procedure. Usually, if a body surgery is done for cosmetic purposes, your private health insurance will not pay for your procedure. On the other hand, if the goal of your body contouring surgery is to treat a certain medical condition (e.g. thigh lift to reduce skin irritation and infection), then you are eligible for a health insurance claim. By consulting with a renowned surgeon, you will know not only your treatment options but also your financing options.
What are the Risks of Body Surgery?Whether it’s a body fat surgery or torso surgery, there are risks associated with the procedure such as:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia such as skin rashes and difficulty breathing
- Body weakness
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both sides of your body
- Pus draining from your wound
- Rippling of the implant
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
Body Surgery Glossary – Words related to Body Surgery
- Anesthesia – Drugs used during a surgical procedure to relieve pain and other discomforts.
- Capsular contracture – A complication of breast augmentation that is characterized by the formation of a tight scar around the implant.
- Hematoma – Visible pooling of blood under your skin.
- Hemorrhage – Uncontrolled bleeding
- Rippling of the implant – Visible folds and wrinkles in your skin due to improper implant placement.
- Wound dehiscence – Partial or total separation of wound edges after it has been sutured
FAQ about Body Surgery
Can you have multiple body surgeries at the same time? – Combination Body Surgery
- Some body surgeries can be performed at the same time with minimal risks. However, other surgeries that are performed at once can increase your risk of developing problems and other complications. To ensure your safety, consult with a top surgeon with vast experience in body contouring surgeries. For further body contouring options by Dr Barnett, send an enquiry form today (click the button at the bottom of this page).
What is the ideal Age to have body surgery?
- The ideal age to have body surgery will depend on the type of procedure you want to undergo. For instance, breast surgeries are recommended for younger patients since they have elastic skin and a good amount of breast tissue. On the other hand, body contouring procedures aimed at improving the appearance of wrinkles, sagging skin, and loose skin are best performed in older patients. To know the ideal body surgery that will suit your anatomy, lifestyle, and cosmetic goals, schedule a consultation with a top surgeon.