What is Bilateral Brachioplasty Surgery (Arm Lift with Liposuction Plastic Surgery)?
Definition of Brachioplasty: Arm Lift or Arm Liposuction and Skin Reduction Surgery, also known as a bilateral Brachioplasty procedure, is a surgical reduction of excess skin and subcutaneous fat from the upper arm area. The area treated surgically for arm reduction is usually the region of the upper arms from the elbow to the under-arm or armpit area of the body. The surgery leaves a long scar that, for many patients, is less visible when the arms are by the side AND which may fade with proper scar management, good recovery processes and healthy genetic skin-healing capacities.
Most Brachioplasty Surgery procedures for Arm Lifting/Upper Arm Skin Tightening also involve Liposuction prior to removing the excess skin.
Arm Lift Surgery is known as a procedure to reduce ‘bat wings’ or ‘bingo wings,’ and is often referred to as Upper Arm Reduction Surgery”.
Read the blog below for more information or continue scrolling down this page for procedure details.
Flabby Upper Arms? All About Upper Arm Lift and Arm Liposuction Surgery
Brachioplasty: Types of Arm Reductions/Upper Arm Lift Surgery Options after weight loss or skin sagging
STANDARD ARM LIFT
A standard Brachioplasty includes the complete removal of excess, hanging skin from the elbow down to the armpit.
EXTENDED ARM LIFT
An Extended Brachioplasty includes a slightly larger section of the body in addition to the arm itself.
LIMITED INCISION ARM LIFT
A Limited Incision Brachioplasty has an incision located in the armpit only.
Before & After Arm Reduction/Arm Lift Photos: Example of results from UPPER ARM REDUCTION surgery to reduce sagging arm skin along the triceps area in a fit, healthy patient.
Note that all invasive surgery carries risks and patient results can vary significantly.
See more of Dr Geoffrey Barnett’s Before & After Photos
Patient Selection: Am I a good Candidate for Arm Lift Surgery?
- You need to be at a stable weight and with a BMI ideally under 30. See our tips for losing weight before surgery, below.
- For people with excess or sagging upper arm skin due to weight loss or ageing, Arm Lift Surgery is a great option for a firmer, contoured upper arm area.
- Significant weight loss through Bariatric Surgery or as a result of a healthy diet and regular exercise will often leave behind excess upper arm skin.
- Exercise will tone and tighten the underlying muscle but will not be able to help with sagging skin that may be left behind.
- An Arm Lift however is not intended to take the place of exercise regimes or healthy eating.
- A good candidate must be at a stable weight and should have no underlying health issues.
- If you need your BMI measured, we have a high-tech weight and BMI calculating scale at our Hawthorn East Plastic Surgery rooms in Hawthorn.
- Just phone (03) 8849 1467 today to ask about scheduling a no obligation appointment with Dr Barnett OR to come in and visit with his nurse, JENNY, for a quick hello and a BMI measurement on our special BMI measuring scale (your results can be confidential and you can use the scale yourself with an appointment).
- Or just send an enquiry form – to ask for your free downloadable PDF Guide to Arm Lift Surgery.
We also have other body contouring guides for you to choose from which will greatly assist your awareness of procedure information.
What if I need to get fitter or lose a few kilos before surgery?
Not everyone is at a healthy BMI or stable weight. It helps to visit with Dr Barnett, as this visit can help you become motivated or intentional about losing weight and getting fitter before your body contouring surgery. You’ll find Dr Barnett to be a very caring, knowledgeable and empathetic listener who has expertise in all forms of body contouring and skin reduction/liposuction surgery in Melbourne.
Best Tips on How To Lose Weight Before Surgery
Your Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Geoffrey Barnett will be able to help you determine which procedure will work best for you to achieve the results you want.
Call (03) 8849 1444 to book a consultation or for New Patient Enquiries please phone (03) 8849 1467 today.
Disclaimer/Reminder: All invasive surgery carries risks and results can vary from patient to patient.
The Surgical Procedure
- Excess skin is removed from the inner aspect of the arm using incisions that run from the armpit down the arm to finish above the elbow.
- If the skin excess extends past the armpit and onto the chest wall then the incision is extended to incorporate this.
- Liposuction is often used in combination with Arm Lift surgery to remove excess fat from the under and outer surfaces of the arm.
- The skin edges are then closed using stitches that are beneath the skin and dissolve so that they do not need to be removed.
- Healite II Technology may be used to assist with healing and minimisation of surgical scars.
Why Should I get Arm Lift Surgery?
Sculpted, Firmer Upper Arms
The most obvious benefit of An Arm Lift procedure are sculpted and firmer upper arms that are no longer weighed down by excess, sagging skin. Not only will your arms look appear more toned, they will feel a lot lighter, quite literally releasing you from the burden of heavy, sagging upper arms.
A more youthful appearance
Firmer, more sculpted arms can often help to exude a more youthful bodily appearance. Sagging arms can often be a tell-tale sign of the ageing process, therefore Arm Lift surgery can help to wind back the clock and have your upper body looking and feeling younger.
More Clothing Options
No longer being concerned with sagging, excess skin around your arm area often means you will be more comfortable wearing singlets t-shirts and other clothing items that show your upper arms. The appearance of your arms may have held you back from wearing the clothing you like. Arm Lift surgery can give you back the confidence to wear the clothes you may love but have never been able to wear.
The physical improvements often achieved by Arm Lift Surgery can make you feel more confident and self-assured. People who have had Arm Lift surgery often find themselves more confident in their body, allowing for a happy, healthier attitude towards life.
For further information please Email or you can Download our PDF Guide: All About Brachioplasty. You can also talk to a Patient Care Advisor that can answer your questions from 8am-6pm Monday through to Friday on (03) 8849 1444.
Dr Geoff Barnett is a highly qualified and experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgeon.
Learn more about Dr Barnett | Email | Ph (03) 8849 1444